The name Crich (pronounced Crych) is of Celtic origin coming from the word Cryc meaning Crag or Hill and is an upland village straddling the undulating hilltops of the Derbyshire Dales, giving commanding views across the Amber Valley.
The village became established and thrived on lead mining and quarrying. Lead had been mined at Crich since Roman times and limestone was quarried for lime burning and road making. By the 18th century at least three large quarries were in full production.
The present day North/South linear development and character of the village was established at this time. The 19th century saw the development of a new local industry, that of framework knitting.
The Great War
As troops and servicemen returned home from the Great War there was hardship and poverty across the country. Servicemen banded together in comradeship for mutual support in these hard times.
Towards the end of the Great War and in the following years, several associations were formed representing the rights of ex-service men and women. Prior to the formation of the British Legion in 1921 there were four main associations; The National Association of Discharged Sailors and Soldiers (1916). The British National Federation of Discharged and Demobilised Sailors and Soldiers. The Comrades of the Great War (1917) and the Officers Association (1920). The amalgamation of these four organisations in 1921 formed the nucleus of the British Legion as we know it today.
Formation of the Comrades Club
After the end of World War One the men who had fought and survived and their friends and relatives
formed the Crich Branch of The Comrades of the Great War. With money collected by public subscription
and funds raised by whist drives, dances and other functions and in 1921 they eventually had enough
funds to build the Comrades Club.
The Club was registered with the Friendly Society on the 6th June 1921 and opened on 17th September of that year. See information about the original applicants here.
In the early years the Club was home to the Crich Branch of the Royal British Legion but for reasons unknown the Branch split from the Club circa 1930's. However in November of 2018 they returned back to the Comrades Club and held the first meeting in December. How fitting their return coincided with the 100 year anniversary of the end of World War One.
Over the years the Club became a centre for Billiards, Snooker, Darts, Dominoes and Skittles producing some excellent local teams and winning many trophies. It also became a popular venue for Bingo. Sadly we no longer have Bingo or a Darts and Dominoes team: however if there are any players out there who wish to play then they are more than welcome to join us.
Some of our History Pages are still under construction. If you have any relevant information, please let us know.